Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Latest Updates from our Mazatlan Living

Hello!  How is everyone doing?  Well, Bob & I are staying busy and we've had lots on our plates the last few weeks.


We're pleased to announce that we have planted some roots here in Mazatlan and purchased a condo.  We're back to "owning" our own place again.  It's a little scary but at the same time very exciting.  Our condo will have some amazing views of the ocean and the Malecon "Boardwalk", it's located in the El Centro area of town where we really enjoy being and it's walking distance to restaurants, bars, shopping and entertainment.  The condo is located in the new phase of the building that's still under construction but the deal included a fully furnished unit in the 1st completed phase until ours becomes available.  It's nice to know the developer.  We meet & became friends with him & his wife while we stayed here for 3 months in 2008.  Hopefully we'll be living in our new place sometime in November.  Yeah! 


We're expecting our 1st guests, Stephanie and Bracy at the end of June.  They were our 1st guests in Honduras and will be our 1st guests here in Mexico.  I'm almost sad that we're putting down roots... it's kinda cool to me that our guests get to discover & explore a new locale.  Well that road ends here & now.  Oh well, we hope they'll enjoy Mazatlan as much as we do.  Can't wait to see them.


Some of you know that I'm keeping busy with a small project of being a food critic for an online Mazatlan magazine, called MazatlanLife.com.  My friend, Sheila whom we met 3 years ago here in Mazatlan had been following us thru our travels by reading our blog.  When she read that we were leaving the island life and that we were relocating to Mazatlan; she offered me a wonderful opportunity of writing for her magazine.   Well, I'm very pleased to say that I have had my first article published.  My 1st job assignment was to attend the Gastronomico Tour in Sinaloa.  Which by the way I've re-named the "Gluttony Tour of Sinaloa".  Sinaloa is the state we live in.  The tour included 7 cities in 3 days all meals were included along with hotel stay.  I met some amazing people on this tour including the Governor of Sinaloa but its not a tour I wish to do again.  It was so fast and furious; It felt like cows being herded into a restaurant to graze and then we were herded back onto the bus to travel to our next meal.  I was so tired of eating; I didn't even make it out of the house to the restaurant that was highlighted on the tour here in Mazatlan.  Of course later I hear that this event was the highlight of the trip & that the best meals were served, but I just couldn't muster up the energy.  I needed sleep and I needed a reprieve from food.  For those interested; here's the link to the online magazine where my article was published. http://mazatlanlife.com/restaurant-review/  Please know that the prices I indicate for meals are in pesos, not dollars and currently that exchange rate is 11.825.


My next assignment is to tackle Asian cuisine in Maz.  Now I'm really going to enjoy this task.  I love Asian food and I've already scoped out a few restaurants that I'm dying to try. 


I'm ready to find a lounge chair by the pool, read a chapter (OK a page) and then Siesta Time.
Much love,
Bonnie & Bob

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yahoo! Thank You for the update:-) I'm glad to hear from you. What a fun job, eat and write. cool.
Love,
Tanya

Anonymous said...

P.S. I loved your food write up:-) knowing you, i can hear your voice as i read. always fun and fresh.
Tanya

Guanaja Sharon said...

Thanks again for more on your update after your e-mail. It sounded like you were on an eating frenzy but I sure enjoyed your style of write-up. The downside of this job will be trying to keep off the weight from these big meals! Good luck in your new home and know that we on the island miss you MUCHO! Oh, and thanks for clarifying the $ to Peso thing. When you kept saying meals were $90-$180 I thought "boy, one can't afford to eat out there much" but now I know you meant P90-P180! Hi to Bob.