Saturday, July 18, 2009

Cartagena Volcano Mud Bath

The Volcano Mud Bath was spectacular. We had no idea what to expect. Bob had read a little bit about the tour but nothing major. Our shuttle picked us up at 9:00 a.m. and we'd be dropped back off around 3:00 p.m. A father and daughter from Medellin Colombia were part of our tour group as well. So, it was just the 4 of us plus our guide. We had an hour van ride to the volcano. Once we arrived we had a short walk to a small volcano that had a mud pool at the top.
A few steep stairs to climb, but it wasn't bad.
The view was nice once we made it to the top.
Large lagoons surrounded the volcano.
And Wha-la. The mud pool. Wasn't what I had envisioned but it was a mud pool. They say the pool contains 28 healing minerals. The guide rattled them all off in Spanish. Did I understand any of them? No! But who cares. This girl & boy could use a little healing.
Here goes. The mud is so soft and thick. It felt cool between my toes. The stairs were a little slippery but I managed to get in with out falling. That's a nice change.
Check out Bob! Nothing to it. He just jumped on in.
I think he really enjoyed it!
Can you believe of our group I was the only one who wanted a massage? Sign me up! As you can see I had a little difficulty relaxing at first. Relax, lay back and enjoy I was hearing the guy tell me. Am I going to sink? Nope, this stuff was thick. It was pretty wild.
While everyone swam in the mud. I had no problem relaxing during my massage in the corner.
This is what it feels like to a pig. Not bad! I truly enjoyed the experience.
We had so much fun playing in the mud. When a large tour group showed up; we all decided to call it quits and headed to the lagoon. The water was so refreshing. There are ladies who want to bathe us of course. Everyone looking to make a buck but we decided to dive in ourselves and wash off. We were able to wash most of the mud out of our hair, swimsuits and ears. After we dried off we boarded the van and drove 30 mins to the town of Boquilla for lunch.
This is a typical Colombian meal. Whole fried fish (we both love it prepared this way), white rice made w/coconut milk, Patacones (fried plantain), and salad. You know I'm a Mexican when I'm missing my tortillas and beans. Not a staple here in South America.
After lunch we enjoyed meeting our new friends and hung out under a huge Palapa.
Take care!
Bonnie & Bob

1 comments:

Unknown said...

OMG!!! I so wanted to do this. I have to make a trip back. I hope you are having a wonderful time in Colombia. Its a beautiful country. Ok...I say that also because I'm from there. Have lots of fun and drink aguardiente...ejejej