Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Misfortune

Greetings! Let's see what been going on over here on Utila. Sharon is back from the states so, I'm no longer in charge of the bar. But we still go daily. What can I say...Bob and I have been very lazy the past 2 days. Lots of naps, watching movies, and happy hours. There has been 3 unfortunate events on back to back to back days. One being a private charter from the mainland carrying 4 passengers crashed here on this island. Apparently all passengers including the pilot were blitz out of their mind. The pilot forgot to put the landing gear down. I guess there's something for being drunk...No one was hurt and they all walked away from accident. The plane however not so lucky. They did some nice damage to the aircraft. The very next day a good friend of Jeff's...The guy we are living with. His friend Roger was involved in an explosion. Apparently the propane tank had a malfunction and as he was trying to repair it when someone in their home turned on the Hot Water which caused a spark. That spark sent Roger flying 30 feet and thru a door. He's in pretty bad shape. We are told 2nd degree burns w/some 3rd degree in other areas. He was airlifted to San Pedro Sula and is in the burn unit. Fortunately they were able to get him there and treat him immediately. He seems to be in good spirits even though he's doped up. Roger is from Canada and needs some prayers. He'll be going thru some plastic surgeries soon. 3rd thing...poor old man. I can't remember his name but he's 105 years old and lives in the hotel/apartments behind Driftwood. He fell down some stairs and took off half his scalp since he landed on concrete. I'm glad we were at the bar since we were the only ones around with a golf cart that was fully juiced up. So Sharon borrowed the cart & transported him up to the airport to airlift him to the mainland. We are told that he is doing very well and is tough as nails. I told Bob he can't charge him for the rental of the cart or the little bit of blood that got on the vinyl seats. Just kidding. Bob has totally chilled out on these type of things. Now that I depressed some of you. Let's end on a positive note. We met this girl Jackie. She's originally from England but is traveling all around the world by herself. She had been here on this island for 6 months and is heading down to Columbia for awhile as her next destination. She loves it there and has convinced Bob and I to add it to our travel list. Anyway, we had a farewell party for her on Sunday. I have to tell ya...these folks around here now how to throw a BBQ and party. We had a great time and want to wish her well on her endeavors. She's amazing and has great stories. I will miss chatting with her. We hope our paths cross in the near future. Hope everyone is doing well. We miss all of you and we will be in touch. Lots of love! - bnb.

8 comments:

dimples said...

Thanks for letting me enjoy the island thru your blogs. Bonnie - still miss your laugh at work but don't you dare come back. Keep living the dream!

Dora

Anonymous said...

Bonnie! I miss you so much. Guess what?? I'm taking mom to Vegas, isn't that exciting? She can't wait. Hope all is well and I love reading your blogs, so keep writing them.

Love, JAMIE!! =)

Cindy Lou said...

Wow weee thats alot of crap going on !! hate to hear it. I hope your friend Roger recovers quickly.

Sam sent this email out earlier today and I thought I would share it with you:

Here's a hot television alert from a guy with only 7 channels.
There's a series on PBS (Ch. 8) about travel called Globe Trekker. Tomorrow night @ 7pm it's about Honduras (and El Salvador) and the commercial indicated it will cover the bay islands.
Look for Utila and Guanaja.

Ill try to check it out
Love ya Miss ya
Cindy Lou

Tunisia said...

I hope your friends are doing better. Ah ya, the island life - must be rough for you guys. Are you ready for some visitors? We are sending the kids your way for the summer so rob and I can have a vacation - haha - now really, Rob & I need to save some money to come visit. Love the blog - keep it coming so we can all live vicariously through you.
Love - Cuz Tunisia

Bonnie N Bob's Travels said...

Hi Jamie,
I miss you too. I'm so excited for you and your mom...Vegas, Wow! You know that is my favorite places to go. Do you know where you are staying? When are you guys going?

Bonnie N Bob's Travels said...

Hi Cindy! How are you doing? It's great hearing from you.

Let me know if you catch the episode covering the Bay Islands. I'm curious what they say.

Miss you and love you lots.

Bonnie N Bob's Travels said...

Hi Tunisia,
It's great hearing from you. I wish I could take your kids while you guys have a vacation...Too bad we'll be heading back home at the end of July. Next time!

We'll see you and the rest of the family soon.
Take care. Love you.

Peachy Girl said...

Mufasa,
You finally got a chance to take a nap/watch tv/attend happy hours...now thats retirement :)
Sorry to hear about the misfortunate events but wish Jeff's friend Roger a speedy recovery! 105 years of age...that is amazing...I'm glad you guys were around. Be safe and can't wait to see you and Bob in July.
Hugs and Love you both!