Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Utila

Howdy! As you guys know we are spending the next 3 months on an island called Utila. One of the Bay Islands off of Honduras. We are adjusting quite well to the "island" lifestyle and like it! Utila is a small island. 9 miles long and 4 miles wide. We see lots of backpackers here since it is so cheap and diving is suppose to be amazing. I'm not a diver but Bob is. He hasn't explored much in this area just yet. We're stil adapting and trying to get into some kind of routine. But what's the hurry. People here get around by walking, biking, golf carts, or ATV's. I decided to purchase a bike. One for the exercise and two much cheaper than a golf cart or ATV. The walking was a little much since we live on the back side of the island with a friend, Jeff. At the time...Biking seemed like great idea but here's the scenario. Being that we live on the backside of the island the road is unpaved w/large pot holes and no street lights. Still not a problem when traveling in the daylight...but I somewhat thought that thru too by purchasing a flashlight to go in my basket. However, what I didn't bank on was the journey back to the house at night after being slightly intoxicated. Holy Crap...What was I thinking? You guys know how graceful I am on foot can you imagine me on bike? So, Bob and I decided to purchase a golf cart. Much better and lots easier when grocery shopping. Groceries are very expensive here. For instance my Velvetta Cheese...we all know I'm a queso junky. $10.00 for my 2 lb block. Yes, I still bought it. Everything is pricey...Gas is going for a low price of $6.30/gallon. YIKES! What I find interesting is how they do electricity. You have to prepay for electricity. You can buy as much or little as you want. Each house has a box and when you prepay you are given a code which you enter into the box and gives you the kilowatts to operate your electricity in your home. If you don't have money...You don't have electricity. So, we are constantly checking our box at home to make sure we don't run out of power. We do use A/C at night. We are paying $.58/kilowatt. One of the most expensive cities in the world. So, what exactly are we doing to occupy our hours on this island. Most of you know we have lots of friends here on the island. One of them being Sharon and Bruce who own and operate a bar/restaurant called The Driftwood. I've been working with Sharon learning the in's and out's of running the business. Sharon is leaving for the states this coming Thursday for 2 weeks to visit family. Bob and I will be taking over while she is gone. Never knew what all was involved in running a place like this. I'm learning lots and having a blast. We meet new people everyday and really enjoy the vibe from everyone. It's awesome! We've already had guest first part of May. Matt and Tina from Minnesota. We met them 2 years ago on Roatan. We had a really nice time with them. There visit was short since they were spending time between Utila and Roatan. Ginger and her family are joining us in July and we can't wait for their visit. We've been scoping out hotels and condos for them stay. I guess I should submit this now...I'm counting my blessings that I got this far without a power outage. Bob and I wish everyone the absolute best! We hope to see you guys during our travels. And yes, I promise to stay in touch more! Love you. Bon and Bob.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bonnie! I miss you so much. I'm glad to hear things are going well. Post pictures when you can!
Love, Jamie

Unknown said...

Bob and Bonnie,

It was so wonderful to read about your adventures! I am in awe of the cost of living on the island...that is craziness!! But it sounds like you guys are having the time of your lives, so that is awesome! Please keep us all posted through your blog. We miss y'all.

Love,
Ginger (and Bill and Baby Brenna, too!)

Anne said...

Hi my two Sweetie's!!! It was wonderful to IM you the other night... I still can't believe technology @ times.. To be able to "talk" between Katy, TX & Honduras. I am so excited to hear about your adventures. Your having the time of your life and I am giving bathes, doing homework and passing out by 8:30 :)

Love you both, Till Later!

Love The Dillon's

Peachy Girl said...

Its days like today that I wish I could leave it all behind and jump on a plane and head to Honduras to have a beer with my buddies :) I'm so happy for you and Bob living the real life right now! Enjoy and savor each day.
Love you both and still missing you dearly.

Cindy Lou said...

Hey Bonnie & Bob,
Love your blog site and I look forward to reading the adventures of B & B. Miss you guys! I'm cracking up at the thought of you tipsy, bike riding in the dark hitting potholes - I can see it now
Love ya
Cindy

SAILOR GIRL said...

Hey Bonnie,
The office just isn't the same without your laughter ringing out. Am jealous of your lifestyle but am so happy you & Bob jumped off & are really enjoying life while you're young!!! I know I had my chance w/ Morgan but just didn't want to get stranded on some far off island!! LOL Hope to catch up with you one of these days during your travels. Have to save my dollars first - you know how that goes since you worked at DCP as well!!!

Hugs,
Eileen