Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Day of the Dead

I imagine you guys are gearing up for Halloween...one of my favorite times of the year. Unfortunately that is an American Holiday and not too much is centered around "halloween" here in Mexico. But I am looking forward to all the festivities that will take place Nov 1st & 2nd...Dia de los Muertos (Day of the dead). Not sure why "day" is not plural being the celebration continues for 2 days. Dia de los Muertos is a huge celebration remembering those that have passed. Families will decorate their homes heavily with lots of color, build alters, display numerous photos and honor the deceased by serving their favorite foods & favorite drink. This is not a time for sorrow...it is a festive occasion of life. The rest of us will be enjoying the public party. Our neighbor, Cheryl made reservations for us at a restaurant called, La Tramoya in Plaza Machado. They have been coming to Mazatlan for the past 20 years and say the plaza is the place to be. Saturday we will be on the sidelines watching the parade, the dancers, and awaiting the donkey. I'm told a donkey trails the parade pulling a cart full of Pacifio beer which is distributed to the crowd. Pacifico beer is brewed here in Maz. and in my opinion is one of the better beer served. The parade will come and go but the plaza will have live music thru the night. I'll let you know how it goes! Hope all is well for everyone. Take care B&B

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bonnie!
I'm thinking about you today! Lots brought halloween treats today & I made a cheesy spinach dip with spinach, velveeta, rotel & cream cheese...it's so good. The reciepe also said you could add bacon. You might have to try it.

MISS YOU!

Bonnie N Bob's Travels said...

Hey Jamie,
That sounds so good. I'm salivating. I'm so missing my Velvetta here. Can't find it anywhere. Make sure to have plenty for me. Thanks for the post and Happy Halloween. Miss you!