Friday, October 31, 2008

Doc Experience

Had to find a doctor today! I've been having excruciating pain in my left heel and I can't take it anymore. I had been given a name of a doctor by one of the expats here and she raved about him. She said all his credential came from the states which meant he spoke English too. If only going to the doctor were this easy back home...I was a "walk in". Dr. Torres was able to see me immediately. He did speak English very well and was very personable. I liked him immediately. Bob & I have insurance but we opted for "catastrophic" which means only major medical. So anything outside those parameters we pay out of pocket. Dr. Torres sent me around the block for x-rays. I was pleasantly surprise that I had no wait at this office either. I walked in, had both feet x-rayed and waited 10 mins for my x-ray copies. Of course I had to pay out of pocket for the procedure but no problem...That only cost $250 pesos with the current exchange rate $20usd. How much are they back home? I walked the x-rays back to the docs office where he read them immediately. I have bone spurs in both my feet. Well Thank God only my left foot is in pain! He prescribed an anti-inflammatory and suggested I get out of my flip flops and use tennis shoes. He also prescribed one of those gel inserts for extra padding. We'll give it a week or two...hopefully the pain will diminish. The doc visit was cheap too. That was only 250 pesos as well. There are pharmacias on every corner so we immediately picked up the prescription ($10 usd - not the the generic stuff either). I'll do as the doc says, I'm really hoping this pain stops soon. I'm not enthused with the alternative plan.

Hope everyone back home is doing well.

Love you - Bonnie (&Bob)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Bon.
Sorry to hear about your foot...Just a tip, momma has the exact same thing but her doctor said there was nothing he could do, so she wears a magnetic bracelet on her ankle, call it crazy but she has so pain whatso ever anymore. It's pretty cool. If you can't find one, let me know, I'm pretty sure I could mail one!

<3 Jamie

Bonnie N Bob's Travels said...

Hey Jamie,
Your now the 2nd person to say something about the magnet this week. I take it your mom says it works? My mom is coming to see me for thanksgiving. Maybe I can get her to pick me up one of those magnets. Where can she buy one? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! Miss you greatly.

Julia said...

Hey Bonnie, I know your pain, here is a link to the miracle that saved me. http://www.alternativerelief.com/
I tried shoes, inserts, tons of Advil, it got to where I couldn't get around anymore. I've been waering my ankle bracelet 24/7, in the shower, swimming, all the time. I survived Disney, I had a back up though in case this one broke. But I had the x-rays, same thing, bone spur, OUCH!! Don't know how, but this maganet works, check them out, it guarenteed or your money back, very nice people that run this business, I see them when they come here for the Peddler shows. Let me know what you think.