Monday, December 8, 2008

Early morning today

What a beautiful morning! Ask and you shall receive. I had mentioned out in the courtyard that it would be nice to have a bike...my bone spurs are still killing me and I want to exercise. I'm out walking but I'm paying the price too. My neighbor, George says he has an extra bike I can borrow and if I want to join him on a bike ride in the morning; I was more than welcome. Sure, I said, "would love to". His morning time and my morning time are very different. 7:30 works for me but not for George. He likes to be out there by 5:30. O' Boy...5:00 a.m. came early! (Why do I make commitments after a cocktail?) It was still dark and I'm pretty sure the roosters were still sleeping but I got up. I hadn't been on a bike since "island living" and we all know how that turned out. But today would be different. We were riding our bikes on the Malecon. I didn't have to worry about pot holes or dirt trails. But I did have to worry about those damn spiked peddles. Aye, I was trying to be so quiet for my sleeping beauty, Bob. I ran the bike into the front door and caught my shin on the peddle. That was painful. George was ready at 5:30 and ready to roll. How far are we riding today, I asked? (Why didn't that question come to mind yesterday) He said, "to Valentino's". Humm...by my calculations that's approximately 18 miles. I swallowed and smiled..."cool". Let's go! The first few yards were hard but once we reached the malecon it was beautiful. Not too many folks out at that time but the waves were doing their thing. I could listen to them all day. George is fast on a bike. No way could I keep up but I took in the sites and really enjoyed being out there. He would wait every so often for me to catch up but then I would feel bad. Go on, I told him. I know my way around. I caught up with him when he was on his way back. I turned around and started to head back too. So, my 18 miles was cut to approx 16 miles. Not bad. The Malecon was full of folks by 6:00 - 6:15. I now know why George likes being out there early. By the end of the ride we were dodging people walking their dogs, runners, or roller blader's. There were lots of people running on the beach and several swimmers in the ocean...now that's ambitious. Bob is still sleeping and will be till about 9:00. I'm heading to yoga now. Hope all is going well for everyone.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Bonnie! I'm proud of you for going on that bike ride so early in the am! Love ya, Nan

Anonymous said...

16 mile bike ride then yoga?!
You rock, chica!
That's my girl - bring it on.