Friday, March 6, 2009

What are we missing?

Hi! How is it going for everyone? Things are still going very well for us but we still miss our family, friends and miscellaneous things that we took for granted. As everyone knows we are very close to family and that truly has been difficult. We led very active lives with our friends. We also made it a point to attend as much activity as possible (dinners, birthdays, sporting events & happy hours) which meant we were busy pretty much every day of the week. We miss those days which is why we are so excited about our time in Belize. We'll have several visitors....Mike Hoover, Gus Edwards, Ginger Hughes & Richard Beckham. We are thrilled. There's still plenty of month available for other guests. (hint..hint) I'm really missing my own kitchen. Even though all the apartments we rent are "fully equipped"; they are not up to my standards. Most places have no microwave. Didn't realize how much we relied on them. Now we have to plan ahead for dinners and thaw food the old fashion way and heat leftovers on the stove. Speaking of stoves; so far they've all had 2 settings; high & higher which we have to light with a match. I've learned to be creative using the extra pots and extra grates to get that simmer effect. We've been lucky to find places to buy other necessities such as tupperware and pitchers. Fortunately most of the items are under $1.00 so I don't feel bad leaving them behind. Not much room in the luggage to carry everything. Although, I do tote around my spices. I put everything in ziplocs so they don't take up much room in my backpack. We've adjusted to our living conditions and really it's not all that bad but I do look forward to when I have my own kitchen again. I can tell you we are really missing our couches. Since all the places are "rental" units they don't come furnished with the best furniture (which we understand). Bob is tall and he likes to lay down to watch TV but poor thing; all the couches we've had have been "love seat" size. So, never under estimate the comforts of your couch or bed. At times I get anxious about heading to Guanaja to start building our dream place and get back to comforts of our own things. Things we took for granted. But at the same time because of our travels I've gotten so many ideas for our place. The plans in my head have changed over and over on how I want design my kitchen to the lay out of the cabanas and bar. I have a notebook that I use keep all the ideas that we come across. If anybody has any ideas or recipes to throw my way....I'd like to hear them. Well, time for lunch. Hope everyone is doing well. Please come see us if you can. Love ya - B & B

0 comments: