Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Top 10 Island Challenges.

As promised here's our daily challenges. Hope you enjoy. Bonnie's top 10 10. Rolling Blackouts. Although this is happening less frequent, they still occur. Only a problem when I'm blogging. 09. Remembering to turn off everything before leaving the house. A/C, fans, tv and microwave. The clock from the microwave pulls extra electricity...We all know we can't have that happen. 08. Crazy drivers. Holy crap these locals are loco especially on their motorcycles. They'll travel 1 mile at the speed of 50 mph. What is there hurry?! 07. Sand flies. These creatures love me and bite the hell out of me. Every morning my routine includes a good application of Cactus Juice. Cactus Juice is an insect repellent that is non- toxic and has zero deet. It's the only thing that works on me. (Bob doesn't have this problem. The bugs stay off of him.) 06. The grit feeling. Like I mentioned above. I apply a lotion daily for the bugs. We'll its humid as hell down here and hot. So, I'm constantly glistening. The glisten is a great adhesive for salt, sand and dirt. 05. Banking can take up to 2 hours. The reason, anyone over 60 or pregnant women can jump in front of you at any time. 04. The Internet lacks the speed we are used to back home and have you ever tried typing on a Spanish keyboard. Good grief...drives me to drinking. 03. Produce sucks here. Nor do they carry cilantro or jalapenos on the islands. Didn't realize how much I used them. 02. Grocery shopping is an adventure. Can't plan a menu in advance. It's all about what the store has available at that moment. And if you see something on the shelf you think may need later; Buy it! I can't be picky on brands. Steaks need to be "Aged" before grilling. And spices I'm used to are hard to come by. 01. Fighting the "Dreadlocks" daily. OMG! In one day, I can have dreads. I've already had to cut some out. I must condition my hair twice a day with a "leave in hair" conditioner and comb it thru. Bob's top 10 10. Cost of Electricity. It's like being back in the 70's when I was growing up w/ no A/C. Man, it can get hot & ceiling fans can only help so much. One advantage though, you sweat out the beer faster in the mornings so you can get started again by Noon. At least we have A/C at night in our bedroom. 9. Road demolition to install new sewer lines. As the population of the island grows, I guess so does the amount of _____ (you fill in the blank). They are quick to tear up the roads to put in the new lines, but extremely slow to fill up all the craters that line the roads every 10 to 20 feet w/ concrete. & by 8 a.m. the backhoe has the road blocked so that we can't by on our golf cart. The other option is to go the back way thru the woods & by the airport, I meant airstrip, which adds 15 minutes to the commute. Good thing we have an electric cart & don't have to waste money on fuel. Second thought, since electricity cost so much & we charge our cart every night, a gas cart might be have been the better option. To late now to worry bout that. 8. Limited choices of restaurants & goods in general. You really learn to appreciate all the great places & types of food available back home. Don't get hooked on a particular brand of anything, because you take what you can get here. 7. No Golf course. Not that I played alot back home, but it would be nice to be able to play a round when we wanted. Maybe our next stop will have a course & their green fees will fail into budget. 6. see Bonnie's # 4. & it's expensive. It's like $3 for an hour of surfing. 5. Limited health care & no critical care at all. Clinic is open 2 hrs a day from M-F. If you have a major or serious health issue, than you better call a plane to come take you to the mainland. 4. Luxury vehicles. That's what I call them. Small little cars for no purpose but to ride around in the comfort of their A/C. This is a very small community. The only automobiles that should be allowed are trucks for picking up trash & delivery of supplies. 3. Only a few beaches that can be reached w/o a boat. One is OK, but & it's far from our casa. The other beach is private & is a little nicer, but they want $3 for ea visit. No way Jose. 2. Being away from our family & friends. We miss you all & hope to see ya real soon back home or at our next stop on our travels. 1. No domestic light beer. Man, I must have put on 10 lbs already & of course it's all gone straight to my belly. I'm so glad they invented expandable waistlines. & I refuse to pay xtra to drink that crap Miller Lite.

0 comments: