Saturday, June 14, 2008

Trip to Roatan w/the Girls

Monday we set sail to Roatan for the night. The girls include Judy, Barb, Shannon and me. The sail over to Roatan was very relaxing. We left around 8:30 a.m. for a 4 hour sail. The weather was overcast with occasional light showers. I planted myself in the front of the catamaran for the journey. The light rain felt awesome and I fell asleep. We were traveling over some large rolling swells in the ocean that just rocked me to sleep. As we approached Roatan they were having a nice storm. We could see lightening ahead of us and the thunder was all around. We thought we were going to sail into some really bad conditions the final hour but as we rolled in the storm was moving on. We had an amazing sail and by the time we docked in Roatan the sun was shining. Judy has a fantastic place on the beach in Half Moon Bay. Her backyard is a beautiful beach with Blue/Green crystal clear water and reefs. We stayed in the efficiency downstairs. It has 2 rooms. (one full bathroom and one room that has a small kitchenette and bed). Her patio is enclosed where we put down a mattress for additional bedding. The upstairs is rented out. It's a very nice place w/a one bedroom, full kitchen and bath and has 2 large decks. Sundowners is one of my favorite bar hangouts. And Judy's place is 200' from there. How perfect is that? The bar is on the beach and is a fabulous place to be during a sunset. I saw several friends that we've met on our travels to Roatan over the years. It was good to see some things don't change. Sundowners was still their local hangout. It was great catching up them while enjoying a few cold libations. I've been trying to get hold of my friend Jason Welch. He was on the island too. I had left several messages with the receptionist at the resort they were staying at and was hoping he was getting them. Finally, my phone rings around 7:30 p.m. It was him! He was on his way into town to meet up with us. By this time, we were starving and I sent my girlfriends to dinner and told them I would catch up with them. Jason was on his way. He showed up just shortly as the girls left so, I asked if he would mind if we could join them. I was STARVING! Of course it wasn't a problem. He was with his girlfriend, Lauren and her Mom. We went to Argentina Grill (another favorite of mine) for food and drinks. It was great seeing him and spending a little time with them. I was shocked when he wanted to pick up the bill for ALL of us. There were 12 people in our party and we were eating very well. Steaks, Seafood and Cocktails. I told him not to do it but he insisted. Many thanks to Jason!!!! He's one of a kind guy. Well, our one night in Roatan turned into 3 nights. We were having a blast. Roatan is so different from Utila. The pace, the crowd, the food, the scenary was a great change. We snorkeled for hours, we hit some great restaurants for Thai and Seafood, we listening to some awesome live music and we chilled at Sundowners. We set sail with Vern on Friday morning (10:30 a.m.) There were several more folks on the boat ride back. But it was fantastic. The sun was out and we had the winds in our favor. I laid in the hammock in front of the boat much of the way; catching some rays and water sprays. We took a break half way there. It is tiresome on a sailboat (LOL) and we all dove into the ocean to cool off. Since it was windy the waves were large but so refreshing. Once back on the boat we continued our sail back to Utila. Time to rest and rehydrate!

0 comments: